This is a Beaten Chicken Malai Tikka
Beaten Murgh Malai Tikka
This Murgh malai tikka is a very delicious party starter. Super easy to make and fast also. The best thing about this one is that it is a partially make-ahead dish, marinate it, keep it in the refrigerator and just cook before the party. The heat level can be easily adjusted and kids will definitely love these.
These are so delicious and full of flavorsome succulent pieces of chicken that it does not need any accompaniment at all. All the chutneys and the onion rings and salads and dips will be left behind as it just does not need anything else….nom nom nom
So without all the other background stories, lets dive straight to the recipe and all the bak bak i will do after the steps.
What we need?
- Boneless Chicken (Thigh pieces preferred): 500 gms
- Lemon Juice: 1 tbsp
- Black Pepper powder: 1 tbsp
- Yogurt: 100 gms
- Cashews: 10-12
- Green chilies: 3-4 (take more if more heat is needed)
- Coriander leaves: a handful (Make a paste of coriander, cashews and chilies)
- Ginger garlic paste: 1 tbsp
- Chaat masala: 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Butter: 50 gms
- Cream: 100 gms
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Kasuri Methi: 1tsp crushed
- If you have big boneless chicken pieces, you can put it in a cling wrap, cover it and beat it with a mallet (See Image below) or even a pestle (pestle of khal-batta). Even if, small cubes/tikka of chicken are used, it is better to beat it slightly with a pestle so that it becomes more flavorful after the marination.
- Make a marinade. Add ginger garlic paste, yogurt, cream, chaat masala, black pepper powder, lemon juice, salt and paste of cashews, green chilies and coriander.
- Smear/massage the marinade into the chicken(If using big pieces, smear the marinade on the beaten chicken piece, it becomes very very delicate, so handle with utmost care, try to roll it tightly with the support of the cling wrap beneath it).
- If using small cubes, just mix the pieces with the marinade.
- Thread it into skewers if using big piece and an oven or grill, else just let it be.
- Marinate for atleast an hour or Refrigerate upto 12hours.
- I grilled it on my Gas-o-grill as i made the threaded in skewers tikka but it’s easy to make in a kadhai as well.
- For grilling, just add butter and lay the skewers of these succulent pieces to cook. Put all the marinade on the pieces and let it grill. Brush some more butter and flip it.
- Sprinkle some crushed kasuri methi and cover with a large lid.
- Let the chicken malai tikkas absorb the aroma.
If making it with small pieces in a Pan, Add some butter in a pan and cook and sear the pieces well, close with a lid. Flip the chicken pieces and cook for 15 minutes till all the water from chicken has dried. Remove the tikkas and in the same wok add more butter, cream, chaat masala, black pepper powder and salt to taste and make a thick sauce. Toss the cooked chicken pieces properly, cook for a minute or two, Sprinkle some kasuri methi, put on the lid and let the chicken absorb all the aroma. Serve.
(This beautiful method is taken from Cook with Lubna’s youtube video ) https://youtu.be/pDGkSjaa-F0